We have been receiving quite a few questions about the new Quagga Fee created by the State of California. In particular, we have local and visiting boaters that are inquiring about how it effects their Tahoe inspection fee. We hope that the information below will help clear things up!
The Quick and Easy:
- California registered boaters are required to purchase the Quagga sticker
- Other state registered boaters do not need to purchase
- Tahoe Only boats are not exempt from the CA Quagga fee
- Boats that only boat in marine waters are exempt (coastal and some bay waters)
- The CA fee is being collected by DMV for the California Department of Boating and Waterways
- In the future, the funds will be available for existing inspection programs to apply for program support money. Tahoe and Truckee inspection programs included.
The Nitty Gritty: